As early as 1915, the Kaslo Board of Trade was requesting a park reserve around Kokanee Glacier. In 1922, an area of approximately 100 square miles surrounding this feature was reserved for the permanent use and enjoyment of the people of British Columbia. Access to all parts of the park was made possible by old mining roads and trails.
“Gibson Lake has little attraction being shallow and partly a mud flat scattered with logs in summer.”
Reconnaissance and Preliminary Recreation Plan, Kokanee Glacier Park, 1943
Today the Gibson Lake Trailhead is the main access into Kokanee Glacier Park. The easy Gibson Lake Loop Trail would be doable.
Knowing that porcupine chew on tires and hoses in the subalpine we descended to find a stealth camp spot on the west side of Kokanee Creek.